A737 | Works Package
Updated Traffic Management
Issued: 11 January 2023
To ensure the safety of our workforce and the travelling public, there will now be an additional closure of the southbound A737 between Kilbarchan and Howwood for the works package that is currently underway. This will commence tonight and will be in place every night until Wednesday 25 January 2023 inclusive.
Southbound traffic will be diverted off the A737 at Kilbarchan onto Kilbarchan Road, to follow the B787 Cochranemill Road/Beith Road to rejoin the A737 at Howwood.
ESSENTIAL MAINTENANCE ON THE A737 COMMENCES MONDAY 9TH JANUARY 2023
Amey, on behalf of Transport Scotland as part of the Network Management Contract for the South-West Trunk Road Unit, are undertaking overnight maintenance works at several locations on the northbound and southbound A737 between St James Interchange and Howwood, from Monday 9th January until Friday 3rd February 2023, between the hours of 8pm and 6am, each night.
These schemes will benefit around 59,000 vehicles using this route each day, by improving the condition of the carriageway and reducing the need for more extensive maintenance in the future. The works will be carried out using a series of overnight road closures, with signed diversion routes in operation. Access for emergency service vehicles will be maintained throughout the works.
The works will cover:
- The A737 northbound and southbound between the B789 Barrochan Road and the Kilbarchan overbridge
- The A737 northbound and southbound between the Linclive and St James Interchanges
- Bridge joint replacement works at Linwood and resurfacing of the bridge decks
- Removal of a pylon and overhead cabling by Scottish Power Energy Networks.
The scheme will be undertaken in six phases:
- PHASE ONE: Monday 9th January to Thursday 12th January 2023
Overnight closures of the A737 between Howwood and Johnstone northbound.
Diversion: Northbound traffic will exit at Howwood Junction and travel via the B787 Beith Road to Overton Road. From here vehicles will follow Thorn Brae and at the High Street will re-join the A737 north at Johnstone (Barrochan Road).
The Kilbarchan northbound on-slip will be closed with traffic following local diversions to join the above diversion on Beith Road.
- PHASE TWO: Friday 13th January to Monday 23rd January 2023
Overnight closures of the A737 northbound carriageway from Howwood to Johnston between 8pm and 10pm, and Howwood to St James between 10pm and 6am each night.
Diversion: Northbound traffic will be diverted in two sections -
8pm - 10pm: As per Phase One (A737 Howwood to Johnstone).
10pm - 6am: Traffic will be diverted at the A737 Howwood Junction to follow the
B787 Beith Road and travel on the A789 Main Road to join the A761 (Gordon
Street/Mill Street). From here, vehicles will travel via the A726 to the St James interchange.
As per Phase One, the Kilbarchan northbound on-slip will be closed with traffic following local diversions to join the above diversion on Beith Road.
Between Friday 13th January and Thursday 19th January, and on Monday 23rd
January, the northbound A737 between Johnstone and Linclive interchange at Linwood will remain open during the section of works after 10pm, with the Linclive interchange at Linwood on-slip closed. Northbound traffic will be diverted to follow Linwood Road and join the above diversion at the A761 Main Road.
- PHASE THREE: Friday 20th January to Sunday 22nd January 2023
Overnight closures of the A737 between Linclive interchange at Linwood and Johnstone southbound.
Diversion: Southbound traffic will be directed to follow Linwood Road to the A761 Main Road and will continue via High Street to Barrochan Road to re-join the A737 south.
- PHASE FOUR: Tuesday 24th January to Sunday 29th January 2023
Overnight closures of the A737 between Howwood and Johnstone northbound, and Johnstone and Howwood southbound.
Diversion: Northbound traffic will exit at Howwood Junction to follow the B787 Beith Road and continue on Overton Road to Thorn Brae. From here, vehicles will travel to High Street to re-join the northbound A737 at Johnstone (Barrochan Road).
Southbound traffic will follow the same diversion in the opposite direction.
- PHASE FIVE: Monday 30th January to Friday 3rd February 2023
Overnight closures of the A737 between Johnstone and Howwood southbound.
Diversion: Southbound traffic will exit at Barrochan Road to follow the High Street onto Thorn Brae and Thornhill to join the B787 Beith Road and then re-join the A737 at Howwood.
- PHASE SIX: Wednesday 1st February and Thursday 2nd February 2023
Overnight closures of A737 between St James and Linwood southbound.
Diversion: Southbound traffic will be diverted at St James Interchange to follow the A726 to the A761 then onto the A789 Main Road to take Linwood Road to access Linwood, or the B787 Beith Road to re-join the A737 at Howwood.
Please note, all schemes are weather dependent and may be cancelled or rescheduled if weather conditions are not favourable.
- A free Road Work Alerts service is available from our website: https://swtrunkroads.scot/roadwork-alerts/ An email address is all that is required to sign up for the service.
- To report a problem on the network please visit: https://swtrunkroads.scot/report-a-problem/
- Real-time journey information can be obtained by visiting https://www.traffic.gov.scot/ or via Twitter: @TrafficScotland