A77 | Bellfield Interchange to Meiklewood Interchange
ESSENTIAL MAINTENANCE ON THE A77 BELLFIELD INTERCHANGE TO MEIKLEWOOD INTERCHANGE COMMENCES MONDAY 27TH JUNE
Amey, on behalf of Transport Scotland as part of the Network Management Contract for the South-West Trunk Road Unit, are undertaking essential road resurfacing on the northbound A77 at Kilmarnock, between Bellfield Interchange and Meiklewood Interchange.
Work will take place from Monday 27th June until Saturday 16th July 2022 under various traffic management arrangements including overnight closures and a contraflow system.
These schemes, with a combined value of £1.4 million, will benefit around 14,000 vehicles using this route each day, which links Glasgow and the Central Belt to Ayrshire’s coasts and ports, by improving the condition of the carriageway and reducing the need for more extensive maintenance in the future. The combination of two maintenance schemes will allow the works to take place as efficiently as possible, minimising disruption for travellers, businesses, and residents.
The programme of works is as follows:
- Monday 27th June – Thursday 30th June 2022: Total overnight closures of the northbound A77 at this location between the hours of 8pm and 6am each night. A signed diversion route will be in operation.
- Friday 1st July – Monday 4th July 2022: A weekend contraflow system will be in place at this location from 8pm on Friday night until 6am on Monday morning. Road users are advised to plan ahead and allow extra time for any journeys.
- Monday 4th July – Thursday 7th July 2022: Total overnight closures of the northbound A77 at this location between the hours of 8pm and 6am each night. A signed diversion route will be in operation.
- Friday 8th July – Monday 11th July 2022: A weekend contraflow system will be in place at this location from 8pm on Friday night until 6am on Monday morning. Road users are advised to plan ahead and allow extra time for any journeys.
- Monday 11th July – Friday 15th July 2022: Total overnight closures of the northbound A77 at this location between the hours of 8pm and 6am each night. A signed diversion route will be in operation.
Traffic management will be removed by 6am on Saturday 16th July.
During the overnight closures:
Main Diversion: A77 northbound traffic will be diverted to exit the A77 at Bellfield Interchange to turn left onto the A71 westbound. At Moorfield Roundabout, traffic will turn right to follow the B7081 northbound and at the signalised junction will turn left onto the B7064 (Munro Avenue). Traffic will continue to follow the B7064 in a northerly direction to merge with the B7038 (Glasgow Road). From here, traffic will be able to re-join the A77 via Meiklewood Interchange and diversion will end.
Grassyards Off-Slip Road Closure: Traffic intending to use the A77 Grassyards northbound off-slip road will be diverted to follow Diversion A until the roundabout on the B7064/A735. Traffic will be instructed to turn right onto the A735 and will continue through the B7082. From here, traffic will turn left and will travel in a north-easterly direction towards Grassyards Interchange, where diversion will end.
Grassyards On-Slip Road Closure: Traffic intending to use the A77 Grassyards northbound on-slip road will be diverted to follow Grassyards Road in a south-westerly direction and will take a right turn onto the B7082. From here, traffic will continue through the B7082 and turn right to join the A735 and will continue on the A735 until the roundabout with the B7064. At the roundabout, traffic should follow Diversion A until Meiklewood Interchange, where diversion will end.
During the overnight closures, Meiklewood northbound off-slip will also be closed.
During the weekend contraflow operations, the following closures will be in place:
- Closure of Bellfield northbound on-slip, with traffic diverted via the A71 westbound to follow Diversion A from Moorfield Roundabout.
- Closure of Grassyards northbound off and on-slips, with traffic diverted as noted above.
- Closure of Meiklewood northbound off-slip, with traffic diverted on the A77 northbound to leave at M77 Junction 8, continuing north to the roundabout with the B778, before taking the third exit onto Stewarton Road. Traffic will turn right onto the A751 before continuing south on the B751, B7061 and B7038 to Glasgow Road.
The following diversion routes will also be signposted and can be used to reduce congestion around Bellfield Interchange:
Diversion A (A77 southbound to A71 westbound and A78): A77 southbound traffic can divert via M77 Junction 8 to follow the B7038 southbound. Traffic will join the B7064 Western Road, travelling south, to turn right onto B7081 Irvine Road, travelling in a southernly direction to follow the B7081 join the A71 at Moorfield Roundabout.
Diversion B (A77 northbound to A735 / A71 / A78): A77 northbound traffic can divert via the B7038 northbound at the Kilmarnock Bypass, following the B7038 Ayr Road in a northerly direction. Traffic will take the 4th exit at the roundabout with the B7072 to join the B7072 Hurlford Road travelling east to join the A735 Queen’s Drive.
Diversion C (A77 northbound to A71): A77 northbound traffic can divert via the A78 at Dutchhouse Roundabout, travelling west to Monktonhead Roundabout, before travelling north on the A78 to Warrix Interchange. Traffic will join the A71 at Warrix Interchange, continuing east to A71 Corsehill Mount Roundabout and A71 Moorfield Roundabout.
Diversion D (A77 northbound to A76): A77 northbound traffic can divert via Sandyford Toll Roundabout to join the A719 northbound. Traffic will follow the A719 northbound to join the A76 at Crossroads Roundabout.
Access for emergency service vehicles will be maintained throughout these works.
Our operatives will follow strict physical distancing and hygiene protocols throughout the programme, in line with the Scottish Government’s COVID-19 guidance.
Please note, all schemes are weather dependent and may be cancelled or rescheduled if weather conditions are not favourable.
- A free Road Work Alerts service is available from our website: https://swtrunkroads.scot/roadwork-alerts/ An email address is all that is required to sign up for the service.