A77 Stranraer - Girvan
5 March 2021
ESSENTIAL MAINTENANCE ON THE A77 BETWEEN STRANRAER AND GIRVAN COMMENCES FRIDAY 5TH MARCH 2021
Essential vegetation management on the A77 between Stranraer and Girvan is programmed to take place over the following weekends under full road closure between Cairnryan and Marchburn:
- Friday 5th March until Monday 8th March 2021
- Friday 19th March until Monday 22nd March 2021
To accommodate the works and maintain a safe working environment, the full road closures will be in place from 7pm Friday to 6am Monday each weekend, running continuously 24 hours per day in this time period.
This scheme, with a value of £93,500, will benefit vehicles using this route each day by improving visibility of tourist and direction signs along the carriageway as well as maintaining access points for routine network improvements including lighting columns, VRS, and filter drains.
To utilise the road closure, other works are planned on the A77 between Stranraer and Girvan, predominantly under single lane closure.
Since the works will be carried out using two full weekend road closures, signed diversion routes will be in operation between Stranraer and Girvan during the road closure time periods. Proof of residence (driving licence, household bill) would be helpful in ensuring residents can be quickly and safely provided with access throughout the works where necessary.
Bus diversions will be in place during closure times. Please contact Strathclyde Partnership for Transport (SPT) for further information concerning bus services.
Diversion routes in place will be as follows:
- A77 southbound traffic – from Girvan will be diverted at Shallochpark Roundabout, Girvan to take the second exit onto the A714. Traffic will proceed on this route through Pinmore, Pinwherry, Barhill, Bargrennan, and Challoch. At North Barnkirk, traffic will turn right onto an unclassified road to South Barnkirk where traffic will then turn right onto the A75. From here, traffic will continue to the A751 Junction and will follow signage for Stranraer or Innermessan to complete their journey.
- A77 northbound traffic – from Stranraer will be diverted via the A75 eastbound. Traffic already travelling on the A77 or A751 will be diverted to turn right at the junction and will follow the southbound diversion above but in the reverse order.
Our operatives will follow strict physical distancing and hygiene protocols throughout the programme, in line with the Scottish Government’s COVID-19 guidance.
Please note, all schemes are weather dependent and may be cancelled or rescheduled if weather conditions are not favourable.
- A free Road Work Alerts service is available from our website: https://swtrunkroads.scot/roadwork-alerts/ An email address is all that is required to sign up for the service.
- To report a problem on the network please visit: https://swtrunkroads.scot/report-a-problem/
- Real-time journey information can be obtained by visiting www.trafficscotland.org or via Twitter: @TrafficScotland