A77 | Whitletts Roundabout - Sandyford Toll (northbound)
8 October 2021
ESSENTIAL MAINTENANCE ON THE A77 AT WHITLETTS ROUNDABOUT AND SANDYFORD TOLL COMMENCES WEDNESDAY 20th OCTOBER
UPDATE (25/10/21): Traffic management on the A77 northbound carriageway between Whitletts Roundabout and Sandyford Toll has been amended for tonight (Monday 25th October 2021). A further overnight closure at this location is required from 8pm to complete resurfacing works, northbound traffic will follow the diversion route as previously published below. There will also be a single lane closure on the southbound carriageway.
PLEASE NOTE: There will be no provision for abnormal loads along the diversion route whilst the overnight closures are in place. Emergency service vehicles will not be affected – special arrangements will be in place to grant access through the works area.
Amey, on behalf of Transport Scotland as part of the Network Management Contract for the South-West Trunk Road Unit, are undertaking essential maintenance on the A77 at Whitletts Roundabout and Sandyford Toll from Wednesday 20th October until Tuesday 26th October 2021.
This scheme, with a value of £600,000, will resurface approximately 2.7 kilometres of the A77 providing an improved running surface on the northbound carriageway on the stretch between Whitletts Roundabout and Sandyford Toll Roundabout. This will benefit vehicles using this route each day, by improving the condition and safety of the carriageway and reducing the need for more extensive maintenance in the future.
The work will be carried out between Wednesday 20th and Tuesday 26th October as follows:
- Wednesday 20th October 2021: Overnight northbound carriageway closure from 20:00 until 06:00 on Thurs 21st October 2021
- Thursday 21st October 2021: Overnight northbound carriageway closure AND overnight southbound fast-lane closure from 20:00 until 06:00 on Friday 22nd October 2021
- Friday 22nd October 2021: Overnight northbound carriageway closure to erect contraflow system from 20:00 until 06:00 on Saturday 23rd October 2021
- From 06:00 on Saturday 23rd October 2021 until 20:00 on Sunday 24th October 2021: Contraflow of A77 northbound and southbound traffic on the A77 southbound carriageway
- Sunday 24th October 2021: Overnight northbound carriageway closure AND overnight southbound fast-lane closure from 20:00 on Sunday 25th October 2021 until 06:00 on Monday 25th October 2021
- Monday 25th October 2021: Fast-lane closures on the northbound and southbound carriageway from 20:00 on Monday 25th October 2021 to 06:00 on Tuesday 26th October 2021. Through traffic will be maintained on the A77 in each direction.
When overnight closures are in place, A77 northbound traffic will be diverted to exit the A77 at Whitletts Roundabout to join the B743 westbound at Heathfield Road. At the A79 Junction, traffic will follow the A79 through Prestwick Road, Ayr Road, Main Street and Monkton Road to Shawfarm Roundabout. From here, traffic will take the first exit to continue on the A79 in a northernly direction. At Monktonhead Roundabout, traffic will take the second exit to join the A78 and at Dutchhouse Roundabout, traffic will be able to re-join the A77 northbound, where diversion will end. Southbound traffic will not be diverted.
We thank road users for their patience while this essential maintenance is underway, during peak hours travel times may be longer than usual and road users are advised to allow extra time to complete their journey and use alternative routes where possible.
PLEASE NOTE: For the weekend contraflow and overnight closure aspects, a Residents Pass is available for those living or working within the extents of the closure, covering the properties accessed via the northbound A77 carriageway between Whitletts Roundabout and Sandyford Toll Roundabout. Access is only for properties/businesses within the extents of the scheme, under escort. Please be aware that you may be asked to produce proof of residence, e.g. a driver’s license.
If eligible, please apply here.
This is Phase One of maintenance at this location with Phase Two scheduled to take place in December 2021, which will resurface the southbound carriageway. Dates will be announced in due course.
Our operatives will follow strict physical distancing and hygiene protocols throughout the programme, in line with the Scottish Government’s COVID-19 guidance.
Click on the image below to open a downloadable PDF poster containing all relevant information to the scheme.
Please note, all schemes are weather dependent and may be cancelled or rescheduled if weather conditions are not favourable.
- A free Road Work Alerts service is available from our website: https://swtrunkroads.scot/roadwork-alerts/ An email address is all that is required to sign up for the service.
- To report a problem on the network please visit: https://swtrunkroads.scot/report-a-problem/
- Real-time journey information can be obtained by visiting www.trafficscotland.org or via Twitter: @TrafficScotland