M74 | Strathaven Road - Draffan Road (northbound)
12 November 2021
ESSENTIAL MAINTENANCE ON M74 NORTHBOUND FROM JUNCTION 10 TO 8 COMMENCES THURSDAY 25TH NOVEMBER
UPDATE (26/11/21): Planned maintenance on the M74 between Strathaven and Draffan Road has been POSTPONED due to forecast adverse weather. A rescheduled date will be announced in due course.
⚠️ High wind warnings are in place across Scotland this weekend. Please visit www.metoffice.gov.uk for full details.
Amey, on behalf of Transport Scotland as part of the Network Management Contract for the South West Trunk Road Unit, are undertaking essential maintenance on the M74 northbound between Strathaven Road underbridge and Draffan Road underbridge from Thursday 25th November until Tuesday 30th November 2021 using phased traffic management.
This scheme, with a value of £529,845, will benefit around 26,032 vehicles using this route each day, by improving the condition of the carriageway and reducing the need for more extensive maintenance in the future.
The work will be carried out using the following closures and a weekend contraflow:
- 8pm Thursday 25th November to 6am Friday 26th November – Temporary road markings and safety barrier alterations will be required on the southbound carriageway in order for the scheme to proceed, a full southbound closure is required between Junction 8 and Junction 10 with a signed diversion in place.
Southbound traffic will exit the M74 at Junction 8 to turn left onto the A71 to Canderside Toll Roundabout. From the roundabout, vehicles will join the B7078 (Carlisle Road) heading south to Wellburn Interchange to re-join the southbound M74 at Junction 10.
During this phase, the northbound carriageway will be reduced to one lane. An additional localised closure of the northbound carriageway at Junction 10 will also be in place with a minor diversion via the Junction 10 off-slip then immediately returning to the M74 using the Junction 10 on-slip.
- 8pm Friday 26th November to 6am Saturday 27th November –
There will be a full northbound closure between Junction 10 and Junction 8, using the same diversion as above in the opposite direction.
- 6am Saturday 27th November to 8pm Sunday 28th November –
A contraflow utilising one lane north and 2 lanes south on the M74 will be in operation. The Junction 10 northbound on slip road will be closed during these times with a local signed diversion in place.
- 8pm Sunday 28th November to 6am Monday 29th November – To complete the works and remove the contraflow, a full northbound closure between Junction 10 and Junction 8 utilising the northbound diversion.
- 10pm Monday 29th November to 6am Tuesday 30th November – Following completion of all phases, temporary road markings will be reinstated to their existing positions under a full southbound closure between Junction 8 and Junction 10 utilising the southbound diversion route. The northbound carriageway will also be reduced to one lane.
Our operatives will follow strict physical distancing and hygiene protocols throughout the programme, in line with the Scottish Government’s COVID-19 guidance.
Should works be complete earlier than anticipated during any of the above noted phases, traffic management will be removed to allow traffic to proceed as normal.
Please note, all schemes are weather dependent and may be cancelled or rescheduled if weather conditions are not favourable.
- A free Road Work Alerts service is available from our website: https://swtrunkroads.scot/roadwork-alerts/ An email address is all that is required to sign up for the service.
- To report a problem on the network please visit: https://swtrunkroads.scot/report-a-problem/
- Real-time journey information can be obtained by visiting www.trafficscotland.org or via Twitter: @TrafficScotland