Emergency Works: M8 J16 - J17 Woodside Viaducts
12 March 2021
EMERGENCY WORKS ON THE M8 WOODSIDE VIADUCT COMMENCES 12th MARCH
Amey, on behalf of Transport Scotland, will be undertaking emergency maintenance on the bridges of the eastbound and westbound M8 Junctions 16 to Junction 17 Woodside Viaduct from Friday 12th March 2021.
Following the advice from a structural assessment, these works are being immediately progressed to address deterioration identified on both the eastbound and westbound structures. This is to ensure the continued structural integrity of the bridges, and compliment future refurbishment work.
Forthcoming work will see the installation of temporary bridge props installed adjacent to the main bridge piers at several locations below the bridge deck, in preparation for a permanent repair. Pre-construction work and investigations commenced on Friday 12th March, with the first of the props expected to be installed in April.
To ensure the safety of road workers and the travelling public, speed and lane restrictions will be in place on the M8 for the full extent of these structures; and associated eastbound slip roads at Junctions 17 and Junction 18 and westbound slip roads at Junction 15 on slip and Junction 17 off slip will be closed. Slip roads at Junction 16 remain open. Signed diversion routes are in operation, and access for emergency vehicles will be maintained throughout.
Narrowed lanes have been introduced on the mainline of the M8 through the structures. HGVs are being encouraged to consider using an alternative route due to these narrow sections.
- Eastbound Junction 18 on slip diversion: Traffic will travel on the A804 St Georges Road to Phoenix Road, Dobbie’s Loan to the Junction 16 eastbound on slip road.
- Eastbound Great Western Road on slip diversion: Traffic will travel via West Graham Street to Garscube Road then onto Dobbie’s Loan to Junction 16 eastbound on slip road.
- Westbound Junction 15 on slip road diversion: Traffic will travel via Springburn Road, Royston Road, A804 Baird Street, Dobbie’s Loan, Phoenix Road and then re-join at Junction 17 Westbound.
- Westbound Junction 17 off slip diversion: Traffic will travel via the Junction 19 off slip road to Argyle Street to North Street and follow signage.
TRAFFIC SCOTLAND M8 WOODSIDE VIADUCTS Q&A HERE
Road users should plan their journey accordingly and allow extra time for travel or consider an alternative route.
Please note, all schemes are weather dependent and may be cancelled or rescheduled if weather conditions are not favourable.
- Our operatives will follow strict physical distancing and hygiene protocols throughout the programme, in line with the Scottish Government’s COVID-19 guidance.
- A free Road Work Alerts service is available from our website: https://swtrunkroads.scot/roadwork-alerts/ An email address is all that is required to sign up for the service.
- To report a problem on the network please visit: https://swtrunkroads.scot/report-a-problem/
- Real-time journey information can be obtained by visiting www.trafficscotland.org or via Twitter: @TrafficScotland
JOIN OUR VIRTUAL TOWN HALL